Welcome to the Flaming Faggot

Callovia is called "the boundless empire" yet you have managed to find its northern border - a notorious roadhouse deep within the Madrasan Marches on the edge of the wilds of Llanvirnesse. The sign above the door reads "Flaming Faggot," which would suggest a cozy, homey inn with fresh biscuits served at teatime if not for the severed troll heads mounted on pikes at the gate.

As you cross the threshold the raucous din quiets momentarily as all eyes dart to the door and calloused hands drop instinctively to well-worn sword hilts. The threat, instantly assessed, is dismissed and roadhouse patrons go about their business hardly missing a beat.

Grim, hard-eyed men huddle around tables in close conversation thick with conspiracy; caravan guards gamble away their earnings; Caemric rangers sit close to the fireplace cooking the damp of the Black Annis from their clothes as they warm their innards with Red Dragon Ale; minstrels play and buxom wenches dance for the pleasure of men who pay them little attention - until they need a companion to warm their bed.

As you approach the bar, a huge, bald barman with a greatsword slung across his back slides a mug of freshly-pulled ale towards you, its frothy head dripping over the rim.

"Pull up a seat, lad," he says, "and let me tell you a tale of high adventure."

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Productive Weekend

The funny thing about long weekends is that there is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do.  But as I struggle to stave off imminent heart-failure caused by gorging to excess on honey-glazed ham and my wife's sublime cheese and onion gallete, I must admit that while I didn't get around to the relaxing inactivity that I long for, I did get quite a few things done that have been hanging over my head lately.

  • I got my taxes done - and with days to spare!
  • I submitted my latest short story for inevitable rejection and, most importantly,
  • I finished the draft files for Megadungeon! a new board game by Hopeful Monster
Megadungeon! is the first of a series of old school micro games that Shane and I hope to produce, and is a game of dungeon exploration for the whole family inspired by my five year old daughter's love of the old TSR boardgame, Dungeon!  You can follow the link to the Hopeful Monster site for more details.

5 comments:

Trey said...

Very productive indeed. :)

What market did you submit your short story to, if I may ask?

Anonymous said...

Gee, that is brilliant, making a Dungeon! style game. And you chose the perfect name for it.

Sean Robson said...

@Trey: Chizine, probably my favourite publisher of dark fiction - none of it mine :)

@Anonymous: Thanks! Shane Mangus is the creative genius behind the name.

A Paladin In Citadel said...

Taxes? D'oh!

Every year I get a refund, but for some reason I file my taxes late anyway.

:)

Kiltedyaksman said...

Let me know if you want any feeback or a playtest of your game.