Welcome to the Flaming Faggot

Callovia is called "the boundless empire" yet you have managed to find its northern border - a notorious roadhouse deep within the Madrasan Marches on the edge of the wilds of Llanvirnesse. The sign above the door reads "Flaming Faggot," which would suggest a cozy, homey inn with fresh biscuits served at teatime if not for the severed troll heads mounted on pikes at the gate.

As you cross the threshold the raucous din quiets momentarily as all eyes dart to the door and calloused hands drop instinctively to well-worn sword hilts. The threat, instantly assessed, is dismissed and roadhouse patrons go about their business hardly missing a beat.

Grim, hard-eyed men huddle around tables in close conversation thick with conspiracy; caravan guards gamble away their earnings; Caemric rangers sit close to the fireplace cooking the damp of the Black Annis from their clothes as they warm their innards with Red Dragon Ale; minstrels play and buxom wenches dance for the pleasure of men who pay them little attention - until they need a companion to warm their bed.

As you approach the bar, a huge, bald barman with a greatsword slung across his back slides a mug of freshly-pulled ale towards you, its frothy head dripping over the rim.

"Pull up a seat, lad," he says, "and let me tell you a tale of high adventure."

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Posting Sitrep

I realize that my posting frequency has been pretty sparse lately, but I have a good excuse for a change, beyond laziness and apathy.  For the past several weeks I have been devoting all of my free time to working on Covert Ops, the old school espionage role playing game that I announced last year.  This hasn't left me a lot of time for blogging, and my head is so immersed in the clandestine world of the secret agent that it's hard to shift gears into fantasy.  Consequently I've fallen several sessions behind on my campaign session reports.  I apologize to everyone who has been missing them, and I will try to get one up in the next few days - just in time to have another session and fall behind again.

I am really thankful to have Barrowmaze, though.  It has been a real time-saver to be able to run such a great adventure right 'out of the box,' so to speak, which has allowed me to concentrate on Covert Ops instead of spending all of my time trying to stay ahead of the players.

Anyhow, things will likely be quieter than usual around the Flaming Faggot for the next little while, but I will be making frequent development posts on the Hopeful Monster blog, so if you're interested in following the development of the game or reading my musings on the spy genre, head on over there and check them out.

3 comments:

burnedfx said...

I do enjoy your session write ups, but no need to apologize. You don't owe us anything. =]

I love that about Barrowmaze. I want minimal prep work and this is one of those modules that makes that possible.

Good luck with your other projects!

Dan said...

if you run a playtest of covert ops count me in Sean. :-)

Sean Robson said...

@burnedfx: Thanks! Barrowmaze is unique in my experience in being ready to run with no preparation required. Most adventures I've seen are at least as much work to prepare for as making your own.