Welcome to the Flaming Faggot

Callovia is called "the boundless empire" yet you have managed to find its northern border - a notorious roadhouse deep within the Madrasan Marches on the edge of the wilds of Llanvirnesse. The sign above the door reads "Flaming Faggot," which would suggest a cozy, homey inn with fresh biscuits served at teatime if not for the severed troll heads mounted on pikes at the gate.

As you cross the threshold the raucous din quiets momentarily as all eyes dart to the door and calloused hands drop instinctively to well-worn sword hilts. The threat, instantly assessed, is dismissed and roadhouse patrons go about their business hardly missing a beat.

Grim, hard-eyed men huddle around tables in close conversation thick with conspiracy; caravan guards gamble away their earnings; Caemric rangers sit close to the fireplace cooking the damp of the Black Annis from their clothes as they warm their innards with Red Dragon Ale; minstrels play and buxom wenches dance for the pleasure of men who pay them little attention - until they need a companion to warm their bed.

As you approach the bar, a huge, bald barman with a greatsword slung across his back slides a mug of freshly-pulled ale towards you, its frothy head dripping over the rim.

"Pull up a seat, lad," he says, "and let me tell you a tale of high adventure."

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Unboxing the Bones

This afternoon while in the midst of editing stories for Libram Mysterium, which are coming in at a steady pace, my long-awaited Reaper Bones Kickstarter shipment arrived.  A disciplined man would have finished the story he was currently editing.  I am not such a man.

I did restrain myself enough to take pictures before ripping into the package and strewing the contents about the house, so I thought I'd share what a Vampire level box of miniatures looks like:


1. The 11-pound carton that UPS delivered to my door:


2. The box of Bones miniatures and the three miniature storage cases that were add-ons to the Kickstarter:


3. The insides of one of the storage cases (150 figure capacity):


4. And finally, the miniatures themselves (click to embiggen):


It took me nearly an hour to open each individually-wrapped miniature and set them up.  There are still some unopened packages in the background consisting of a small horde of goblins and rats that I still haven't opened.

This should be enough miniatures to keep me painting for the near future.  Of course there is still the odious task of washing and prepping each one and removing mold-lines.  To quote Homer Simpson: "Can't somebody else do it?"

Well, back to editing.  Keep those submissions coming, I'm starting to catch up!

8 comments:

Tim Shorts said...

Looks like you and your daughter have a lot of painting to do together. I love the cases that they provided for everyone.

Sean Robson said...

Yes we do, Tim. My daughter just claimed dibs on all the best miniatures of the lot - the ones that I wanted to paint. :(

Anonymous said...

holy crap what a haul! Nice...

Dan

Sean Robson said...

Yeah, Dan, I don't even know where to start...

Kyle said...

Throw a d20 into the pile and paint the closest one!

The Happy Whisk said...

That's great that you were able to take pictures first, before getting that box open. Good deal.

Meanwhile, I set the morning aside to work on my side of the office and I dunno what happened, but I ended up coupoing instead.

Funny how that is.

Sean Robson said...

Good for you, Whisk! Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hahaha, that's right.