Welcome Back to the Labyrinth

"We have been away far too long, my friends," Ashoka declared, his face lit by the eldritch green glow of his staff. "But we have finally returned to the labyrinth whence our adventures first began."

"Just imagine the treasures that lie within," said Yun Tai, flexing his mighty muscles. "Wealth enough to live in luxury the rest of our days."

"And arcane artifacts of great power," added Ashoka his words dripping with avarice. "All ours for the taking!"

"Umm...guys?" Nysa interrupted. "Do you hear something dripping?"

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Die is Cast

Thus spake Caesar as he stood with his army at the bank of the Rubicon, the point of no return in his bid for Rome.

I've just returned from dropping off my entries in Games Workshop Winnipeg's annual Golden Gaunt painting competition.  After months of painting and repainting; blending here, layering there, shading, highlighting and endless fussing, I've finally put the brushes down and said 'enough.'  The entries technically didn't have to be in until tomorrow evening, and I was tempted to use every last hour available to add 'just a few more finishing touches,' but sometimes you just have to know when to quit and let the chips fall where they may.

The awards will be presented on Saturday afternoon and I'm looking forward to seeing the work of some of Manitoba's best painters, and how my own efforts compare.  I must say that I'm relieved to finally be done with my competition entries.  I've been spending almost all my painting time over the last couple of months working on them and I'm really looking forward to just painting for pleasure, without the pressure of competition hanging over me.

I've submitted four models in the following categories:

Warhammer Fantasy Single
Crom the Conqueror (non-metallic metal technique)



Warhammer 40K Single
Ork Kaptin Badrukk


Lord of the Rings
 
Cave Troll

Open Category
 
Doombull
  
Now its just down to waiting, but as Tom Cochrane said, "the waiting is the hardest part."



2 comments:

Shane Mangus said...

Wow, these look great! You have a real knack for this. Good luck in the contest.

Sean Robson said...

Thanks, Shane! I just got back into painting seriously about 4 years ago and this is my first big competition, so I have no idea how I'll do. I am looking really forward to seeing the other entries. There's nothing I love better than looking at other people's masterpieces. I'll let you know how things turn out.