Welcome to the Flaming Faggot

Callovia is called "the boundless empire" yet you have managed to find its northern border - a notorious roadhouse deep within the Madrasan Marches on the edge of the wilds of Llanvirnesse. The sign above the door reads "Flaming Faggot," which would suggest a cozy, homey inn with fresh biscuits served at teatime if not for the severed troll heads mounted on pikes at the gate.

As you cross the threshold the raucous din quiets momentarily as all eyes dart to the door and calloused hands drop instinctively to well-worn sword hilts. The threat, instantly assessed, is dismissed and roadhouse patrons go about their business hardly missing a beat.

Grim, hard-eyed men huddle around tables in close conversation thick with conspiracy; caravan guards gamble away their earnings; Caemric rangers sit close to the fireplace cooking the damp of the Black Annis from their clothes as they warm their innards with Red Dragon Ale; minstrels play and buxom wenches dance for the pleasure of men who pay them little attention - until they need a companion to warm their bed.

As you approach the bar, a huge, bald barman with a greatsword slung across his back slides a mug of freshly-pulled ale towards you, its frothy head dripping over the rim.

"Pull up a seat, lad," he says, "and let me tell you a tale of high adventure."

Friday, March 28, 2014

In memoriam: Dave Trampier 1954 - Mar 24 2014

I was sad to learn of the passing of Dave Trampier earlier this week.  It was his art more than any other that I came to associate with Dungeons & Dragons, and he was certainly my favourite artist ever to illustrate the game.  I have no idea how many times in my life I've looked to his illustrations in the Player's Handbook or Monster Manual for inspiration, and I have no doubt that I will continue to do so for many years to come.

Here's to well-earned treasure at the end of the adventure:


2 comments:

Aaron E. Steele said...

I've still got $100 set aside for a DAT artbook in the style of the original ADnD Manuals.

Sean Robson said...

That would be awesome. I'd heard that he was working on one, but I didn't know he'd actually finished the project.