Welcome Back to the Labyrinth

"We have been away far too long, my friends," Ashoka declared, his face lit by the eldritch green glow of his staff. "But we have finally returned to the labyrinth whence our adventures first began."

"Just imagine the treasures that lie within," said Yun Tai, flexing his mighty muscles. "Wealth enough to live in luxury the rest of our days."

"And arcane artifacts of great power," added Ashoka his words dripping with avarice. "All ours for the taking!"

"Umm...guys?" Nysa interrupted. "Do you hear something dripping?"

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy Birthday, Chuck!

In case you haven't heard, today is Chuck Norris's 71st birthday.  I realize that as a pop-culture icon, Chuck has been reduced to little more than a running series of internet jokes, but I'll always remember him as one of my cinema heroes of the '70's and '80's, not as the subject of ridicule.

Though he was the star of many popular movies, such as Lone Wolf McQuade, Forced Vengeance, and Silent Rage, my personal favourite has always been The Octagon.


Although the movie, admittedly has a few weak points, like endless flashbacks, and forcing us to listen to Chuck's thoughts echoing in his head, it gives us something none of the others did: Lee Van Cleef and lots of ninjas.  As far as I'm concerned you can never get enough of either.

So Happy Birthday, Chuck; keep on kicking!

Now to borrow a page from James' plan to use sex appeal to grow the OSR, I leave you with a bit of beefcake for the ladies.

Chuck Norris wants YOU for the OSR!

5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Birthday, Chuck. My Hungarian Grandma (we called her Mamam), loved to watch him. She'd say in her thick accent, "Come on I, Chuck is on. Ve eating pizza."

I miss that. Thanks for the good memory.

Sean Robson said...

Hi Ivy,
My grandma loved Clint Eastwood. Especially the 'Dirty Harry' movies.

The Happy Whisk said...

Mine too and she also loved John Wayne. Or, as she called him, John Vayne. She loved the old black and white classic monster movies too. A battle would break out between wolfman and some dude and she'd shout, "Come on! Get'em!"

Good stuff. Good stuff.

Shane Mangus said...

I never realized Chuck was so man-scaped! At least he just clipped his chest hair and didn't actually shave it!

Sean Robson said...

Yes, he is a hairy little man!